Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Poems I Didn't Absolutely Hate!

Billy Collins Poem Responses

I’m not usually a fan of poetry, but I really enjoyed reading these works by Billy Collins. I found them easy to relate to and entertaining.  The following are the six poems I decided to analyze.  My comments range from themes to thoughts to defining the meanings.  I look forward to reading more works by Collins.

1.     The History Teacher, Pg. 38
a.     Naivety of students today.
b.     Teachers shying away from the difficulties of teaching the harder subjects.
c.      The importance of understanding history.
2.     Vade Mecum, Pg. 36
a.     I am completely lost with this poem.
b.     (guess) The narrator wants to be remembered exactly how he/she really is.
c.      Wants to be remembered in that way forever.
3.     Dancing Toward Bethlehem, Pg. 70
a.     Describes what makes him happy.
b.     His final wish is to be with his one love.
c.      Living a life full of happiness.
4.     Some Days, Pg. 97
a.     Different roles in daily life.
b.     Being controlled by others or controlling others.
c.      The uncertainty of what the next day could bring.
5.     Morning, Pg. 100
a.     The trials and tribulations of a day.
b.     The bliss of the morning and your individual morning routine.
c.      The uncertainty of what the day will be like.
6.     Sonnet, Pg. 146
a.     Making fun of the structure of a sonnet.
b.     I like this because I don’t particularly like sonnets to begin with.
c.      It’s kind of ironic to see a poet making fun of a form of poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment