Tuesday, April 19, 2011

That Girl Got Jokes!


That Girl Got Jokes

Poor Mr. Nuttel. He just wants a friend! And then the niece just has to go and mess with his already messed up head.

When reading Saki’s “The Open Window,” I immediately felt sympathy for Mr. Nuttel.  I was hoping he would become a friend of Mrs. Sappleton.  As the niece told the horrible story of the disappearance of Mrs. Sappleton’s husband and brothers, I began to feel sorry for Mrs. Sappleton as well.  I just knew that Mr. Nuttel and Mrs. Sappleton would make great friends.

O how I was fooled as well.  That little niece is a liar! She needs to be set straight.  To fool that poor man was just wrong considering his condition.  She didn’t even know him! And then she told her family that he left because he was scared of dogs. Psh! I don’t blame him for leaving.  I’m sure he has other letters of introduction with families that don’t have little rascals like that niece running around.  It’s only a matter of time until the family realizes what she’s done and sets her straight. I’d like to see that!

3 comments:

  1. I would like to know the other lies and stories this girl has made up as she seems to be quite the storyteller. I wonder if her family realizes her indulgence in false story telling. They seemed to ignore her weird story about the dogs at the end. It seems to me that they would want to focus some attention on Vera and her problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the title of this post! The story made me feel so bad for Mr. Nuttel too; I didn't understand why the little 15 year old had to go and say such a crazy story to him. I was totally fooled as well. I completely felt bad for Mrs. Sappleton when she was telling him the story. I was thinking that is such a sad life to live: waiting for your dead husband to come back. I just hope karma treats the little child right! Nice post :)
    -Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me laugh out loud! I find it so interesting to see both yours and Chelsea's opinions about this story! I actually found Mr. Nuttel kind of annoying in this story. Sure, I felt a little bad for him for being in his situation. However, due to the way Saki characterizes him and Mr. Nuttel's dialogue, I was only able to sympathize for him so much. Vera is quite the mischievous character, but I love her! You have to admit, Mr. Nuttel just sets himself up with Vera. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he didn't know her, though... It's only fair.

    ReplyDelete